Onesumore: Every Netflix Original Removed from Netflix
We realize the title of this article is a bit confusing because Netflix Originals, you would have thought you would stay on Netflix. However, this is not always the case, as we will explore below. Here is a list of all Netflix Originals that have been deleted from Netflix.
To understand why Netflix Original titles are leaving, they usually fall into one of many categories.
- The majority leave because they don’t belong to Netflix. Instead, they are distributed internationally exclusively by Netflix for a fixed period of time.
- Second, it can be temporary or permanent licensing issues. For example, Beat Bugs left due to licensing issues for a short time, while Slasher was taken down because the series owner went bankrupt.
- Third, some titles are time specific. These include New Year’s countdowns for example.
- Finally, you may find that Netflix originals are removed from some regions due to the laws. We’ll cover them in a second.
Netflix Originals Removed From Netflix Due To License
Now let’s move on to the list of Netflix Originals that have been deleted (we may have missed a few, but we’ll update over time).
- The Murder (Seasons 1-4) – Deleted in August 2018 – Despite the relaunch of the series, Fox opted to put the show’s first three seasons on Hulu.
- River (Season 1) – Deleted in October 2019 – Sole international distributor of the BBC series.
- Stockholm (Season 1) – Deleted in November 2019 – Argentine series broadcast by Netflix internationally.
- Happy Valley (seasons 1-2) – Deleted in March 2020 – Another BBC Netflix series is only distributed for a limited time internationally.
- Chewing gum (seasons 1-2) – Deleted in April 2020 – Netflix only served as an international distributor and lost the rights after a set period.
- Slasher (seasons 1-3) – Deleted in April 2020 – Deleted due to bankruptcy of Kew Media Group could return.
- Case (Season 1) – Deleted in May 2020 – Chilean Netflix series broadcast internationally.
- Cannabis – French TV series – Deleted in June 2020
- Hotel Beau Sejour – Deleted in June 2020
- NSU German History X (limited series) – Deleted in July 2020
- Russell Peters: notorious – Deleted in October 2020
- Russell Peters against the world – Deleted in October 2020
- Nobel – Norwegian – Deleted in November 2020
- Four seasons in Havana – Deleted in December 2020
- Merlin – Catalan – Deleted in December 2020
- Pacific Heat (Season 1) – Deleted in December 2020
- Blockbuster – French – Deleted in January 2021
- Knights of Sidonia – Japanese – Deleted January 2021 – has been deleted several times in the past.
- The 4th company (2016) – Deleted in April 2021
As you can see, this list is not exhaustive at this time, but will slowly build over time as Netflix loses the rights to the shows it currently streams under its Netflix Original banner.
Netflix Originals Removed Due To Government Withdrawals
The most famous example of Netflix being ordered to remove content is with the Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj. A critical episode of the regime in the country was sentenced to decreased in January 2019.
The following titles were deleted from Netflix Singapore and was also withdrawn from several other regions.
- The last hangover
- The temptation of Christ
- High cooking
This is the current list. We will continue to expand this over time as more Netflix Originals leave the service.